Be sure to follow this recipe for success every time with this elegant dinner.
- 1 beef rib roast, 8-9 pounds
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, on a rimmed baking pan. Sprinkle with salt. Mix mustard and garlic together. Rub a layer on top of beef. Sprinkle pepper over mustard mixture. Roast beef for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of beef registers 135°F for medium-rare, for one hour. After one hour check temperature every 15 minutes. Transfer roast to platter, reserving pan juices. Let stand, tenting loosely with foil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet. Add shallots and sauté until tender. Add beef broth and wine. Boil until liquid is reduced, about 15 minutes. Pour off pan juices into bowl, scraping up browned bits from pan; add to beef broth mixture. Serve roast with sauce.