Created by: Emily Buys, Clever Housewife
Finish off your Valentine’s Day dinner with this Black Forest Cake. It’s easy to make, and you’ll look like a gourmet!
- German chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 cans (21 oz. each) cherry pie filling
- 3½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. almond extract
- 4 oz. milk chocolate
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9”x9” round baking pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, eggs, 1 teaspoon almond extract and 1 can of cherry pie filling. Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan and turn upside down onto a cooling rack.
- While cake is cooling, prepare whipped topping. In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon almond extract, then continue beating on high until whipped topping is stiff and spreadable. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When cakes are cool, use a knife to level off each cake if necessary so they have flat tops. Place one cake on a serving tray and apply a layer of whipped topping to the top. Add on the other can of cherry pie filling and spread across the top. Place the second cake on top.
- Frost the entire cake with whipped topping, leaving some topping aside for decorating. Place remaining topping in a piping bag and pipe rounds of frosting around the perimeter of the cake.
- Create chocolate shavings from the chocolate bar using a vegetable peeler. Sprinkle over top and sides of cake. Pat the maraschino cherries dry and place one in the center of each frosting round.
- Refrigerate cake for 3-4 hours before serving. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers.