Grilling adds a smoky note to the greens in this knife-and-fork salad, and brings out some of the natural sweetness. It blends well with the sweetness of the berries and vinaigrette.
Hands-on Time: 15 min. | Total Time: 15 min. | Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Easy
- 2 small firm heads of romaine, rinsed and dried
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. grated lime peel
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries (halved strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Trim 1” from leafy end of romaine. Leaving root end intact, cut each head in half lengthwise. Brush cut sides of romaine with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Place romaine, cut sides down, on grill. Cook 3-5 minutes or until just starting to soften. Remove to platter.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk sugar, lime juice, lime peel and mustard with wire whisk. Add remaining oil slowly, whisking until thick and blended; drizzle over grilled romaine. Spoon berries over romaine.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 210, Calories from Fat 130, Total Fat 15g (23% DV), Saturated Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 40mg (2% DV), Carbohydrates 20g (7% DV), Dietary Fiber 8g (32% DV), Sugars 11g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 550%, Vitamin C 100%, Calcium 10%, Iron 20%