This savory soup, made with fresh mushrooms, is a simple and delicious delight.
10 minutes | Prep time: 10 minutes | Serves: 3
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 6 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp. thyme leaves, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook potatoes in just enough water to cover them until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté carrots, onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add mushrooms and sauté until pale gold. Stir in sherry; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove ½ cup mushroom mixture; set aside.
- In a food processor, puree remaining mushroom mixture until smooth. Pour back into pot.
- Add evaporated milk, diced potatoes, chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved mushroom mixture; simmer until heated through and flavors blend, 10-15 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.