This old fashioned dessert is mixed as one batter but separates into a sponge cake on top with a luscious pudding on the bottom, filled with blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.
Hands-on Time: 15 min. | Total Time: 45 min. | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Medium
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 3 Tbsp. soft unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar to dust the tops of the puddings
- Fresh berries for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 6 (6 oz.) ramekins. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and keep warm.
- Distribute the berries equally amongst the ramekins and place ramekins in a large baking dish. Mix the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a bowl until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks one by one until smooth and pale yellow. Mix in the buttermilk, milk, lemon juice and flour until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white to a stiff peak. Gently fold ½ the egg whites until smooth. Then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the batter equally over the berries in the ramekins and pour boiling water into the baking pan to reach half way up the outsides of ramekins. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cake is set on top. Remove ramekins from baking pan and allow to cool. Dust tops of cakes with powdered sugar. Garnish with more fresh berries, if desired Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 240, Calories from Fat 90, Total Fat 10g (15% DV), Saturated Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 80mg (3% DV), Carbohydrates 32g (11% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 30g, Protein 6g, Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 10%, Iron 4%.