This salad is a variation on the bread salads of Italy and the Middle East. The high proportion of vinegar and lemon juice in the dressing softens the bread perfectly.
Hands-on Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes | Servings: 8 | Difficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 seedless cucumbers, halved and sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1-2 packs cherry tomatoes (assorted colors)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup fresh assorted herb leaves
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 5 cups (1” size) artisan bread cubes, toasted in 350°F oven until lightly browned
- 3 bunches fresh salad greens, trimmed, washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1-1½ cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl; whisk together until well blended.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Combine all the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl. Add enough dressing to moisten the ingredients (you will probably have some dressing leftover).
- Toss well to gently coat. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 730, Calories from Fat 300, Total Fat 33g (51% DV), Saturated Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 1430mg (60% DV), Carbohydrates 90g (30% DV), Dietary Fiber 9g (36% DV), Sugars 7g, Protein 20g, Vitamin A 440%, Vitamin C 60%, Calcium 30%, Iron 50%.